Historic Price House is currently closed for maintenance.
Historic Price House
1200 Oakview Farms Rd, Woodruff, SC
$6/Ages 18+, $3/Ages 5-17, FREE to SCHA Members; Discount for scheduled groups.
April- October: CLOSED for repairs.
November- April: CLOSED
*Groups of 10 or more can schedule visits year round
Price House offers guided tours of the site's 200-year-old buildings. Regular programs, often featuring reenactors portraying people of the time, examine the history of the Early Republic as well as the natural history of the Upstate.
Thomas Price, one of Spartanburg County's earliest entrepreneurs, sold general merchandise, food staples, wine, rum and whiskey in a store located next to his house. As postmaster for the area, he also operated the local post office inside the store. Area residents could pick up needed supplies from Price or his storekeeper, George, while sending or receiving mail. A map of the county from 1821 even lists the location of Price House as "Price's P.O." or post office. In addition to the store and post office, Price also kept a "house of publick entertainment" (tavern and inn) that provided food, drink, and lodging to travelers passing by on the road in front of the house. Travelers slept dormitory-style on the third floor.
Mr. Price was also a significant landowner with 2,000 acres to his name. He raised cattle, sheep, pigs, corn, and, most importantly, cotton. As was common throughout the South, the cotton and corn farming of Price and others who farmed the property after him caused significant soil erosion that over the years resulted in a deep gulley near the house.
Running the tavern, general store, post office, and plantation required a great deal of labor. Enslaved African Americans did most of the work that made the Prices' businesses and farm thrive. Little is known about the African American men, women, and children who lived at Price House, but Mr. Price probably owned some slaves when he arrived. A bill of sale indicates that in 1794, the same year he purchased his first parcel of land, he also purchased a woman named Phillis and a child named Harry. When Price died in 1820, he owned twenty-four enslaved people. Though not original to the property, the site exhibits a typical upcountry slave cabin. Moved to the site from Newberry County in 2005, it is a "double pen" cabin that housed two families in two rooms separated by a central fireplace.
In 1968, Price House and its surrounding acreage were given to the Historical Association. Following a four-year restoration effort, the site opened to the public.